(Taken from Facebook)
Today officially marks the end of life-changing and transformational experience in MASCA. My deepest gratitude and heart-felt thanks to Johan, Puteri, Syahir, Josephine, Hanan, Fang Xuan, Yuga, Danial, Ayeem, Fatin (Alyn), Aina, Arif, Ashman, Arlina, Anis, Juanita, Saachi and everyone who I’ve worked with in this memorable 2012/13 term – you know who you are! THANK YOU! Not to forget my comrades in MASCA Victoria 2011/2011 team, I remember you, thank you!
We worked very hard to transform MASCA into something that can bring meaning to the Malaysian student’s “Australia experience”. I fondly remember we were spending the summer of 2013 practically working full time on MASCA. Every day for more than 3 months was focused on building MASCA up. I think all the hard work, money, sleepless nights, tears, sweat and arguments had paid off. We have set many milestones during this term.
If I had to list 3 of my main achievements as National Deputy Chairperson, it’d be:
1. Democratising MASCA into a more egalitarian organisation allowing any student to join and contribute through the ‘MASCA National Executive Team (NET)’;
2. Laying the foundation to a more united community of student leaders by introducing the ‘Australian Network of Malaysian Student Leaders’ to unite over 40 Malaysian student bodies; and
3. Streamlining MASCA’s existing framework to ensure the National Council and its 7 State Chapters act and move as one unit through guidelines on office bearers’ roles and responsibilities and AGM guidelines.
As a team – especially the National Exco – we can lay back and be proud of what we’ve achieved:
1. Successfully revolutionised National Conference and Games (NCG) into the 1st Malaysian Summit of Australia (MASA) – a first-of-its-kind 5-component event attracting more than 500 students from across Australia and an impressive list of companies and speakers at one place at the same time!
2. More proactive in student advocacy issues and fundraising for charity. We collected 426 petition signatures on internships for M’sian & international medical students and presented to Malaysia’s Deputy Prime Minister. We raised $1,132.70 for the families of the Lahad Datu campaign.
3. Made significant progress on the much-talked aspiration of ‘national integration’ by integrating and involving council members across the 7 State Chapters in national events – 2nd MASCA Summit in Malaysia, 6th MASCA Australia Summit and 1st MASA.
4. Enhanced the MASCA brand, particularly amongst students. Our one-stop-centre website attracts over 100+ unique visitors. Our Facebook page went from 80+ on 1 Nov 2012 to 1,435 ‘likes’ today. Our Twitter went from 113 (1 Nov 2012) to 1,611 followers today.
5. Reached out to external third parties – closely worked with the Council of International Students Australia (CISA); initiated and drafting a Memorandum of Understanding with Kelab UMNO Australia (KUA) & related organisations; and engaged with UKEC and ICMS.
6. More regular engagements with MASCA council members, present and past! We held ‘#MASCAunite’ (lepak) sessions in KL for 4 weeks in a row! We also had dinner with the Founder of MASCA, Ek-Khai Tan!
7. Ensuring sustainability of MASCA by amending the Constitution to form a ‘MASCA Advisory Council (MAC)’ comprising of former council members and initiating plans to create a ‘MASCA Alumni’ for all former members (all the way back to 2001!) to be based in KL.
These are only some of the milestones we’ve achieved in a short time of 1 year. Of course, there is much more to be built on and we hand it over to the new team to bring MASCA to even greater heights! To the newly elected MASCA office bearers, congratulations to you and the start of your journey in MASCA. If you work hard for MASCA, MASCA will work hard for you – I guarantee you. I’m confident you will chart milestones in MASCA’s history under the leadership of Johan. I wish you all the best in your journey. Make us proud!
MASCA has been a defining phase of my life where I’ve gained a lot experience, built networks, received exposure and learned many lessons. As much I aspired to transform MASCA, that experience has transformed me to a better, stronger, wiser and a more confident person. MASCA was, is and will always be part of me. Thank you, MASCA.